Close Menu
  • Home
  • United States
  • World
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Lifestyle
  • Entertainment
  • Health
  • Science
  • Tech
  • Sports
  • More
    • Web Stories
    • Editor’s Picks
    • Press Release

Subscribe to Updates

Get the latest USA news and updates directly to your inbox.

What's On
California becomes first in nation to pass new tire efficiency standard — what it means for drivers

California becomes first in nation to pass new tire efficiency standard — what it means for drivers

August 18, 2026
Abdul El-Sayed’s mom worked for ‘global terrorist’ group accused of funding bin Laden, Hamas and Taliban: report

Abdul El-Sayed’s mom worked for ‘global terrorist’ group accused of funding bin Laden, Hamas and Taliban: report

August 18, 2026
Caitlin Clark helps lift Fever past Tempo after Kelsey Mitchell sits out late while ‘overheated’

Caitlin Clark helps lift Fever past Tempo after Kelsey Mitchell sits out late while ‘overheated’

August 18, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Trending
  • California becomes first in nation to pass new tire efficiency standard — what it means for drivers
  • Abdul El-Sayed’s mom worked for ‘global terrorist’ group accused of funding bin Laden, Hamas and Taliban: report
  • Caitlin Clark helps lift Fever past Tempo after Kelsey Mitchell sits out late while ‘overheated’
  • Hayden Panettiere Was ‘Not OK’ While Filming ‘A Breed Apart’ Before Death, Director Claims
  • Kodai Senga’s second act could bring what Mets thought they’d lost
  • Neko Health opening first US clinic in NYC this September and already has a 25,000 person waitlist
  • Trump announces three-day delay to 50% tariffs on Canadian imports, says US and northern neighbor ‘have a DEAL!’
  • Trump tariff on Canadian spirits could hit US bars and restaurants
  • Privacy
  • Terms
  • Advertise
  • Contact Us
Join Us
USA TimesUSA Times
Newsletter Login
  • Home
  • United States
  • World
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Lifestyle
  • Entertainment
  • Health
  • Science
  • Tech
  • Sports
  • More
    • Web Stories
    • Editor’s Picks
    • Press Release
USA TimesUSA Times
Home » FIFA fires exec who ripped Gianni Infantino over $20 billion World Cup investment disaster
FIFA fires exec who ripped Gianni Infantino over  billion World Cup investment disaster
Sports

FIFA fires exec who ripped Gianni Infantino over $20 billion World Cup investment disaster

News RoomBy News RoomAugust 17, 20263 ViewsNo Comments

Add another point to the long list of Gianni Infantino’s post-World Cup controversies.

FIFA’s chief operating officer Kevin Lamour has been fired after publicly chastising the organization’s president, Sky Sports reports. The governing body confirmed his departure in a statement on Monday.

“FIFA can confirm that the working relationship between FIFA and Kevin Lamour as FIFA’s Chief Operating Officer has ended on 17 August 2026,” a spokesperson said. “FIFA thanks Kevin for his two years of service and wishes him the best of luck for the future.”

In a letter to FIFA staff, Mattias Grafstrom, FIFA’s secretary general, said the decision “was made after careful consideration and with great respect for Kevin, both personally and professionally.”

“I felt it was important that I personally provide you this update and I would like to express my gratitude to Kevin for these contributions and for his work and commitment on behalf of FIFA on a daily basis,” the letter read. “I wish Kevin all the best for the future.”

Last month, Lamour criticized Infantino’s wildly unpopular plan to privatize the World Cup in a private equity investment scheme. The plan, which would’ve created a $20 billion subsidiary to run the tournament, was heavily opposed by the global soccer community and led to over half of FIFA’s 211 member nations coming out against the idea.

Lamour had been a colleague of Infantino’s dating back to 2007, as the pair worked together as executives at UEFA before making the jump to the global governing body.

“Our mission … is to serve football. Not to serve the personal ‌interests ⁠of a person who, unfortunately, believes he embodies FIFA when he is supposed to be at its service,” Lamour said in a statement in July.

“If that means I lose my job, then so be it. I will understand and respect that decision. At least I’ll sleep well tonight.”

That appeared to be a step too far for Infantino, who himself has come under fire for personal conduct recently. The embattled FIFA boss allegedly had a relationship with a junior employee when he was secretary general at UEFA. Infantino reportedly promoted the woman, and she was paid off when the relationship ended.

Just days before that report became public, The Post reported that Infantino had begged the Trump administration to help him keep his job.

The soccer exec sought to meet with Secretary of State Marco Rubio as he clamored for support with member nations calling for his resignation.

“He wanted to get online with the secretary and talk about how soccer can be a form of soft power for America,” an insider told The Post. “But we all know that it is about job protection. It is not about anything else at this point.”

The scheme — which involved a firm run by Josh Kushner, the new Lakers owner whose brother Jared is President Trump’s son-in-law and an advisor in the administration — would have raised $4.2 billion through a subsidiary called the FIFA Forward Enterprise based on an equity valuation of $20 billion.

Norway’s soccer federation formally called for Infantino’s resignation, while the European governing body threatened a boycott of the World Cup and other FIFA competitions if the plan was approved. The North American and Asian federations also came out against the plan, and it was quickly axed following the backlash.

In a meeting held in Morocco earlier this month, FIFA reaffirmed its support for Infantino — up for reelection as president this coming March — while acknowledging “mistakes” made in the private equity proposal. Lamour was reportedly not at the meeting.

Share. Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Telegram WhatsApp Email

Keep Reading

Kodai Senga’s second act could bring what Mets thought they’d lost

Kodai Senga’s second act could bring what Mets thought they’d lost

Padres’ Fernando Tatis Jr mean mugs Francisco Lindor after insane grand slam robbery

Padres’ Fernando Tatis Jr mean mugs Francisco Lindor after insane grand slam robbery

Baker Mayfield has a bold prediction for Buccaneers doubters

Baker Mayfield has a bold prediction for Buccaneers doubters

Bill Belichick decides on UNC’s starting quarterback for critical second season

Bill Belichick decides on UNC’s starting quarterback for critical second season

Rams stars Puka Nacua, Myles Garrett take crucial first step toward return

Rams stars Puka Nacua, Myles Garrett take crucial first step toward return

49ers’ Fred Warner sets record straight after breaking teammate’s ribs

49ers’ Fred Warner sets record straight after breaking teammate’s ribs

The historic rookie silver lining in this lost Mets season

The historic rookie silver lining in this lost Mets season

How much are last-minute US Open tennis tickets? Get them with a discount

How much are last-minute US Open tennis tickets? Get them with a discount

Blue Jays vs. Rays picks, odds: MLB best bets, predictions Tuesday

Blue Jays vs. Rays picks, odds: MLB best bets, predictions Tuesday

Add A Comment
Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

Editors Picks

Abdul El-Sayed’s mom worked for ‘global terrorist’ group accused of funding bin Laden, Hamas and Taliban: report

Abdul El-Sayed’s mom worked for ‘global terrorist’ group accused of funding bin Laden, Hamas and Taliban: report

August 18, 2026
Caitlin Clark helps lift Fever past Tempo after Kelsey Mitchell sits out late while ‘overheated’

Caitlin Clark helps lift Fever past Tempo after Kelsey Mitchell sits out late while ‘overheated’

August 18, 2026
Hayden Panettiere Was ‘Not OK’ While Filming ‘A Breed Apart’ Before Death, Director Claims

Hayden Panettiere Was ‘Not OK’ While Filming ‘A Breed Apart’ Before Death, Director Claims

August 18, 2026
Kodai Senga’s second act could bring what Mets thought they’d lost

Kodai Senga’s second act could bring what Mets thought they’d lost

August 18, 2026

Subscribe to News

Get the latest USA news and updates directly to your inbox.

Latest News
Neko Health opening first US clinic in NYC this September and already has a 25,000 person waitlist

Neko Health opening first US clinic in NYC this September and already has a 25,000 person waitlist

August 18, 2026
Trump announces three-day delay to 50% tariffs on Canadian imports, says US and northern neighbor ‘have a DEAL!’

Trump announces three-day delay to 50% tariffs on Canadian imports, says US and northern neighbor ‘have a DEAL!’

August 18, 2026
Trump tariff on Canadian spirits could hit US bars and restaurants

Trump tariff on Canadian spirits could hit US bars and restaurants

August 18, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest WhatsApp TikTok Instagram
© 2026 USA Times. All Rights Reserved.
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms
  • Advertise
  • Contact

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.