Close Menu
  • Home
  • United States
  • World
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Lifestyle
  • Entertainment
  • Health
  • Science
  • Tech
  • Sports
  • More
    • Web Stories
    • Editor’s Picks
    • Press Release

Subscribe to Updates

Get the latest USA news and updates directly to your inbox.

What's On
Australia set to start gun buyback scheme after Bondi Beach terror attack

Australia set to start gun buyback scheme after Bondi Beach terror attack

August 17, 2026
Producer Jerry Bruckheimer Confirms He’s ‘Talking’ to Johnny Depp About Reprising Jack Sparrow Role

Producer Jerry Bruckheimer Confirms He’s ‘Talking’ to Johnny Depp About Reprising Jack Sparrow Role

August 17, 2026
Caitlin Clark caught smiling with Angel Reese in anguish over missing potential game-winning layup

Caitlin Clark caught smiling with Angel Reese in anguish over missing potential game-winning layup

August 17, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Trending
  • Australia set to start gun buyback scheme after Bondi Beach terror attack
  • Producer Jerry Bruckheimer Confirms He’s ‘Talking’ to Johnny Depp About Reprising Jack Sparrow Role
  • Caitlin Clark caught smiling with Angel Reese in anguish over missing potential game-winning layup
  • Mercury coach blasts WNBA narratives but ignores Fever coach Stephanie White’s role in the mess
  • Ariana Grande Brings Out ‘Wicked’ Costar Cynthia Erivo During London ‘Eternal Sunshine Tour’ Show
  • Luis Torrens homers again as his increased Mets usage keeps paying off
  • Trump claims vandals damaged the National Mall grass where July 4 event was held
  • Johnny ‘Bananas’ Devenanzio Pays Tribute to ‘Real World’ Costar Tyler Duckworth After His Death at 44
  • Privacy
  • Terms
  • Advertise
  • Contact Us
Join Us
USA TimesUSA Times
Newsletter Login
  • Home
  • United States
  • World
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Lifestyle
  • Entertainment
  • Health
  • Science
  • Tech
  • Sports
  • More
    • Web Stories
    • Editor’s Picks
    • Press Release
USA TimesUSA Times
Home » Yankees’ Jose Caballero makes costly error in first game off injury list as Anthony Volpe sat
Yankees’ Jose Caballero makes costly error in first game off injury list as Anthony Volpe sat
Sports

Yankees’ Jose Caballero makes costly error in first game off injury list as Anthony Volpe sat

News RoomBy News RoomMay 23, 20261 ViewsNo Comments

Now that José Caballero is healthy and Anthony Volpe is still on the roster, the Yankees have to figure out how to use both infielders.

In Friday’s series opener against the Rays in The Bronx, Caballero — in his first game off the injured list after recovering from a fractured middle finger — was at shortstop and Volpe was not in the lineup.

Caballero’s defense impressed the Yankees at short this season, but he made an error on Chandler Simpson’s grounder to lead off the top of the eighth and the Yankees leading by a run.

It sparked a four-run rally by Tampa Bay in the 4-2 loss by the Yankees.

“It’s a play he’s got to make,’’ Aaron Boone said.

Caballero noted it was a low liner that was a bit of a short hop, but agreed he should have come up with the ball.

Before the game, Boone declined to name either the regular starter at the spot — and added that Volpe would get work in at second base, a position he hasn’t played in a regular season game since a pair of minor league games in 2021.

“On days Anthony is not playing [shortstop], we’ll have him working a little at second base,” Boone said.

That work, Volpe said, has not begun.

“I’ll be ready to go,’’ Volpe said before Friday’s loss. “Whatever the team needs.”

There had been thought that Volpe could be optioned back to Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre with Caballero in the lineup again.

Instead, the Yankees opted to send outfield prospect Spencer Jones back to SWB after he mostly struggled at the plate.

For now, Boone said of shortstop, “I’ll make the decision every day.”

The manager spoke to both Caballero and Volpe and acknowledged there will be unpopular decisions.

“Both guys are gonna play,’’ Boone said. “[Caballero’s] versatility comes into play again with Anthony here.”

The Yankees acquired Caballero from Tampa Bay last year because of his ability to play all over the field and wreak havoc on the bases.

When Caballero took over as the starting shortstop as Volpe recovered from offseason surgery to repair a torn labrum in his left shoulder, though, he hit and fielded better than even the Yankees believed he would.

Boone said Friday: “These things have a way of working themselves out. It’s a good situation to be in because they’re two players we feel can play vital roles in us winning games. … It’s not gonna be a perfect scenario every single day.”

Go beyond the box score with the Bombers

Sign up for Inside the Yankees by Greg Joyce, exclusively on Sports+.

Thank you

Asked about his potential role, Volpe said, “I don’t write the lineup. I’m ready to go, I’ll put my work in.”

Volpe, in his return to the majors, has had some encouraging games at the plate and defensively — as well as on the bases — but he entered Friday hitless in his last eight plate appearances with three strikeouts and botched a double play ball at short in Thursday’s loss to Toronto.

Share. Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Telegram WhatsApp Email

Keep Reading

Caitlin Clark caught smiling with Angel Reese in anguish over missing potential game-winning layup

Caitlin Clark caught smiling with Angel Reese in anguish over missing potential game-winning layup

Luis Torrens homers again as his increased Mets usage keeps paying off

Luis Torrens homers again as his increased Mets usage keeps paying off

Yankees’ Gerrit Cole remembers Tommy John as trailblazer for ‘venturing into the unknown’ with surgery

Yankees’ Gerrit Cole remembers Tommy John as trailblazer for ‘venturing into the unknown’ with surgery

Giants’ John Harbaugh suspects ‘history’ informed Jaxson Dart’s latest medical tent visit

Giants’ John Harbaugh suspects ‘history’ informed Jaxson Dart’s latest medical tent visit

Jordan Spieth’s late meltdown cost him guaranteed chance at  million events in 2027

Jordan Spieth’s late meltdown cost him guaranteed chance at $20 million events in 2027

Von Miller signing with Cowboys in major defensive boost before season

Von Miller signing with Cowboys in major defensive boost before season

Exclusive | Tarik Skubal ‘wants to be great;’ Clayton Kershaw spits facts on Dodgers ace

Exclusive | Tarik Skubal ‘wants to be great;’ Clayton Kershaw spits facts on Dodgers ace

Marquee games Lakers, Luka Doncic and fans should circle for 2026-27

Marquee games Lakers, Luka Doncic and fans should circle for 2026-27

Scottie Scheffler runs away with FedEx St. Jude Championship to end nearly seven-month title drought

Scottie Scheffler runs away with FedEx St. Jude Championship to end nearly seven-month title drought

Add A Comment
Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

Editors Picks

Producer Jerry Bruckheimer Confirms He’s ‘Talking’ to Johnny Depp About Reprising Jack Sparrow Role

Producer Jerry Bruckheimer Confirms He’s ‘Talking’ to Johnny Depp About Reprising Jack Sparrow Role

August 17, 2026
Caitlin Clark caught smiling with Angel Reese in anguish over missing potential game-winning layup

Caitlin Clark caught smiling with Angel Reese in anguish over missing potential game-winning layup

August 17, 2026
Mercury coach blasts WNBA narratives but ignores Fever coach Stephanie White’s role in the mess

Mercury coach blasts WNBA narratives but ignores Fever coach Stephanie White’s role in the mess

August 17, 2026
Ariana Grande Brings Out ‘Wicked’ Costar Cynthia Erivo During London ‘Eternal Sunshine Tour’ Show

Ariana Grande Brings Out ‘Wicked’ Costar Cynthia Erivo During London ‘Eternal Sunshine Tour’ Show

August 17, 2026

Subscribe to News

Get the latest USA news and updates directly to your inbox.

Latest News
Luis Torrens homers again as his increased Mets usage keeps paying off

Luis Torrens homers again as his increased Mets usage keeps paying off

August 17, 2026
Trump claims vandals damaged the National Mall grass where July 4 event was held

Trump claims vandals damaged the National Mall grass where July 4 event was held

August 17, 2026
Johnny ‘Bananas’ Devenanzio Pays Tribute to ‘Real World’ Costar Tyler Duckworth After His Death at 44

Johnny ‘Bananas’ Devenanzio Pays Tribute to ‘Real World’ Costar Tyler Duckworth After His Death at 44

August 17, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest WhatsApp TikTok Instagram
© 2026 USA Times. All Rights Reserved.
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms
  • Advertise
  • Contact

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.