Close Menu
  • Home
  • United States
  • World
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Lifestyle
  • Entertainment
  • Health
  • Science
  • Tech
  • Sports
  • More
    • Web Stories
    • Editor’s Picks
    • Press Release

Subscribe to Updates

Get the latest USA news and updates directly to your inbox.

What's On
Democratic rep files emergency motion to keep Trump’s name off Kennedy Center

Democratic rep files emergency motion to keep Trump’s name off Kennedy Center

August 21, 2026
Karoline Heintz allegedly killed by boyfriend who says ‘demon’ took over: docs

Karoline Heintz allegedly killed by boyfriend who says ‘demon’ took over: docs

August 21, 2026
Michelle Pfeiffer Clears Up Hollywood Retirement Rumors: ‘It’s the Most Ridiculous Thing’

Michelle Pfeiffer Clears Up Hollywood Retirement Rumors: ‘It’s the Most Ridiculous Thing’

August 21, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Trending
  • Democratic rep files emergency motion to keep Trump’s name off Kennedy Center
  • Karoline Heintz allegedly killed by boyfriend who says ‘demon’ took over: docs
  • Michelle Pfeiffer Clears Up Hollywood Retirement Rumors: ‘It’s the Most Ridiculous Thing’
  • Kalshi promo code NYPMAX: Trade $25, get $25 for NL MVP markets
  • Scientists finally know why astronauts struggle to poop in space — and reveal a hidden risk of long-haul spaceflight
  • ‘Exercise pill’ that may reduce appetite and mimic physical activity clears first human test
  • Here’s how the smart money on Wall Street sees Paramount’s antitrust battle with California
  • Sneaky raccoon seen helping itself to ballpark fare at Citi Field as bewildered Mets fans look on
  • Privacy
  • Terms
  • Advertise
  • Contact Us
Join Us
USA TimesUSA Times
Newsletter Login
  • Home
  • United States
  • World
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Lifestyle
  • Entertainment
  • Health
  • Science
  • Tech
  • Sports
  • More
    • Web Stories
    • Editor’s Picks
    • Press Release
USA TimesUSA Times
Home » US military unleashes ‘powerful strikes’ on Iran to impose ‘heavy costs’ for cease-fire violation
US military unleashes ‘powerful strikes’ on Iran to impose ‘heavy costs’ for cease-fire violation
Politics

US military unleashes ‘powerful strikes’ on Iran to impose ‘heavy costs’ for cease-fire violation

News RoomBy News RoomJuly 7, 20261 ViewsNo Comments

The US military launched “powerful strikes” against Iran on Tuesday in response to Tehran’s attacks on three commercial ships near the Strait of Hormuz in the past 24 hours, which American officials view as violations of the US-Iran memorandum of understanding.

“US Central Command forces have begun launching a series of powerful strikes against Iran to impose heavy costs for targeting and attacking commercial shipping crewed by innocent civilians in an international waterway,” the combatant command said in a statement.

“The US strikes are in response to Iranian attacks on three commercial vessels that were transiting the Strait of Hormuz. Iran’s demonstrated aggression was unwarranted, dangerous, and a clear violation of the ceasefire,” it added.

An Iranian state-run media outlet reported several explosions being heard near the coastal city of Sirik and on the island of Qeshm in southern Iran, according to Al Jazeera. 


Follow The Post’s live coverage of President Trump and national politics for the latest news and analysis


US forces struck Iranian air defense systems, command and control networks, coastal radar sites, anti-ship missile capabilities and more than 60 Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps boats “in and near the strait to degrade Iran’s ability to continue attacking international commerce flowing through the international trade corridor,” according to CENTCOM. 

In total, more than 80 targets were hit with precision munitions, the combatant command said. 

The last round of US military strikes in Iran took place late last month, in response to the regime’s drone attack against a cargo ship in the Strait of Hormuz.

Iranian drone storage facilities and coastal radar sites were hit by US warplanes in the June 26 airstrikes.

Tuesday’s airstrikes were described by a US official as “four or five times bigger in scope and power” than last month’s, according to Axios. 

“This response is a direct result of the acts of international terrorism that have been perpetrated by Iran on innocent ships transiting the Strait of Hormuz,” a US official told The Post. 


Follow The Post’s coverage on the latest in the peace deal with Iran:


“The Iranians know the consequences to their ridiculous actions, yet they still chose to carry out these attacks,” the official added.

CENTCOM’s latest announcement came shortly after the US revoked a waiver of Iranian oil sanctions, which Tehran won as part of the MOU.

For its part, the Iranian regime had pledged to reopen the Strait of Hormuz and stop attacking ships transiting the key waterway, which it has not done.  

Iran fired on a Qatar-flagged tanker on Tuesday after attacking two tankers from the United Arab Emirates and Saudi Arabia on Monday night.

Each caused damage, with the projectiles sparking fires onboard.

Start your day with all you need to know

Morning Report delivers the latest news, videos, photos and more.

Thanks for signing up!

“Iran’s actions in the Strait were wholly unacceptable to the United States and will be met with consequences,” a US official told The Post. 

US negotiators, however, “continue to work in good faith towards a final deal,” the official noted. 

The US strikes come as President Trump attends a NATO summit in Turkey, where he praised the Turks for assisting with the Iran conflict while condemning the leaders of the UK, Italy, Germany and France for refusing base access to attack Iran and balking at helping reopen the Strait of Hormuz.

Trump reportedly approved the strike plan and ordered it during a meeting with War Secretary Pete Hegseth, Secretary of State Marco Rubio, Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent and Joint Chiefs of Staff Chairman Gen. Dan Caine in Ankara, according to Axios. 

Kazem Gharibabadi, Iran’s deputy minister of foreign affairs, described the US response to the tanker attacks as a “serious violation” of the memorandum of understanding signed in Pakistan. 

“Iran, while issuing a serious warning regarding the consequences of America’s breach of the agreement, will take decisive actions to safeguard its national interests and security,” Gharibabadi warned in a statement posted on social media.

CENTCOM said its “forces remain postured and prepared to hold Iran accountable when the agreement is not adhered to or obeyed.”

Share. Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Telegram WhatsApp Email

Keep Reading

Democratic rep files emergency motion to keep Trump’s name off Kennedy Center

Democratic rep files emergency motion to keep Trump’s name off Kennedy Center

Jon Ossoff doubles down on gross innuendo about female Trump aide, gloats about angering conservatives

Jon Ossoff doubles down on gross innuendo about female Trump aide, gloats about angering conservatives

Grim warning for California Dems as bombshell new poll shows allegiances shifting

Grim warning for California Dems as bombshell new poll shows allegiances shifting

Why America’s T debt load is unlikely to cause a fiscal Armageddon

Why America’s $40T debt load is unlikely to cause a fiscal Armageddon

Democratic strategist James Carville unloads on DSA socialists: ‘Don’t use our goddamn name’

Democratic strategist James Carville unloads on DSA socialists: ‘Don’t use our goddamn name’

USS Lincoln gets relief from record-smashing deployment with arrival of USS Washington

USS Lincoln gets relief from record-smashing deployment with arrival of USS Washington

Exclusive | Here’s why MAGA-world wants anyone but rumored frontrunner Scott Jennings as next WH press secretary

Exclusive | Here’s why MAGA-world wants anyone but rumored frontrunner Scott Jennings as next WH press secretary

Exclusive | Transportation Secretary Sean Duffy hopeful IndyCar Freedom 250 Grand Prix will ‘bring America together’

Exclusive | Transportation Secretary Sean Duffy hopeful IndyCar Freedom 250 Grand Prix will ‘bring America together’

Melania Trump laughs off reports of her disappearance: ‘I heard you missed me’

Melania Trump laughs off reports of her disappearance: ‘I heard you missed me’

Add A Comment
Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

Editors Picks

Karoline Heintz allegedly killed by boyfriend who says ‘demon’ took over: docs

Karoline Heintz allegedly killed by boyfriend who says ‘demon’ took over: docs

August 21, 2026
Michelle Pfeiffer Clears Up Hollywood Retirement Rumors: ‘It’s the Most Ridiculous Thing’

Michelle Pfeiffer Clears Up Hollywood Retirement Rumors: ‘It’s the Most Ridiculous Thing’

August 21, 2026
Kalshi promo code NYPMAX: Trade , get  for NL MVP markets

Kalshi promo code NYPMAX: Trade $25, get $25 for NL MVP markets

August 21, 2026
Scientists finally know why astronauts struggle to poop in space — and reveal a hidden risk of long-haul spaceflight

Scientists finally know why astronauts struggle to poop in space — and reveal a hidden risk of long-haul spaceflight

August 21, 2026

Subscribe to News

Get the latest USA news and updates directly to your inbox.

Latest News
‘Exercise pill’ that may reduce appetite and mimic physical activity clears first human test

‘Exercise pill’ that may reduce appetite and mimic physical activity clears first human test

August 21, 2026
Here’s how the smart money on Wall Street sees Paramount’s antitrust battle with California

Here’s how the smart money on Wall Street sees Paramount’s antitrust battle with California

August 21, 2026
Sneaky raccoon seen helping itself to ballpark fare at Citi Field as bewildered Mets fans look on

Sneaky raccoon seen helping itself to ballpark fare at Citi Field as bewildered Mets fans look on

August 21, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest WhatsApp TikTok Instagram
© 2026 USA Times. All Rights Reserved.
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms
  • Advertise
  • Contact

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.