Close Menu
  • Home
  • United States
  • World
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Lifestyle
  • Entertainment
  • Health
  • Science
  • Tech
  • Sports
  • More
    • Web Stories
    • Editor’s Picks
    • Press Release

Subscribe to Updates

Get the latest USA news and updates directly to your inbox.

What's On
USS Lincoln gets relief from record-smashing deployment with arrival of USS Washington

USS Lincoln gets relief from record-smashing deployment with arrival of USS Washington

August 21, 2026
‘Darth Vader’ mocks Flock cameras at San Diego City Council meeting

‘Darth Vader’ mocks Flock cameras at San Diego City Council meeting

August 21, 2026
Cher’s Son Elijah Blue’s Wife Challenges Singer’s Conservatorship, Asks Court to Put Her In Charge (Exclusive)

Cher’s Son Elijah Blue’s Wife Challenges Singer’s Conservatorship, Asks Court to Put Her In Charge (Exclusive)

August 21, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Trending
  • USS Lincoln gets relief from record-smashing deployment with arrival of USS Washington
  • ‘Darth Vader’ mocks Flock cameras at San Diego City Council meeting
  • Cher’s Son Elijah Blue’s Wife Challenges Singer’s Conservatorship, Asks Court to Put Her In Charge (Exclusive)
  • Michael Kay calls Yankees’ three-run inning an ‘offensive orgy’ in wild call
  • Exclusive | Here’s why MAGA-world wants anyone but rumored frontrunner Scott Jennings as next WH press secretary
  • Longest-serving inmate in US history dies at 101 after avoiding execution 8 times
  • Outer Banks’ Caroline Arapoglou Reflects on Final Season’s Surprises, Deaths and Potential Spinoff (Exclusive)
  • 49ers get redemption, answers in preseason win over Chargers
  • Privacy
  • Terms
  • Advertise
  • Contact Us
Join Us
USA TimesUSA Times
Newsletter Login
  • Home
  • United States
  • World
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Lifestyle
  • Entertainment
  • Health
  • Science
  • Tech
  • Sports
  • More
    • Web Stories
    • Editor’s Picks
    • Press Release
USA TimesUSA Times
Home » California gas suffers another huge setback as judge slaps down oil giant’s Hail Mary
California gas suffers another huge setback as judge slaps down oil giant’s Hail Mary
Business

California gas suffers another huge setback as judge slaps down oil giant’s Hail Mary

News RoomBy News RoomJuly 20, 20262 ViewsNo Comments

A federal judge dismissed Sable and Exxon’s claims that Santa Barbara County illegally “took” their property by refusing to issue permits for offshore oil production.

Chief US District Judge Dolly Gee last week sided with Santa Barbara County and the Environmental Defense Center, granting their motions to dismiss the Houston-based company’s claims.

“This ruling reinforces that compliance with environmental laws and established regulatory processes is not optional,” said Tara Rengifo, senior attorney for the Defense Center, reports the Santa Barbara News-Press.

“Santa Barbara County’s policies are intended to protect the community from oil operators who do not comply with the law, and we remain committed to ensuring those protections are upheld,” she told the news outlet.

Sign up for the California Morning Report newsletter

California’s top news, sports and entertainment delivered to your inbox every day.

Thanks for signing up!

The Sable Offshore Corp. along with ExxonMobil wants to pump oil using its offshore platforms and the Las Flores onshore pipeline –– the exact same pipeline system that was responsible for the massive Refugio Oil Spill in 2015.

In February 2024, ExxonMobil sold the entire operation — collectively known as the Santa Ynez Unit, which includes the three offshore drilling platforms, the onshore gas processing plants, and the 125-mile pipeline system — to Sable Offshore Corp. for around $625 million, the Courthourse News reported.

But the deal didn’t get Sable the operating permits because of specific laws by Santa Barbara County that requires a complete review of the new buyer’s company before approving the transfer of the operating permits from Exxon to Sable.

In December 2025, the Santa Barbara County Board of Supervisors officially denied Sable’s request to take over Exxon’s existing permits. Despite the rejection, Sable continued to pump oil, according to Courthouse News.

Sable and Exxon had sued Santa Barbara County six months prior to the denial, claiming that the county’s refusal to hand over the permits amounted to an “illegal taking” of their property. The Environmental Defense Center (EDC), a local environmental advocacy group, also stepped into the lawsuit to defend the county’s decision.

While this is a major win for the county and environmentalists, it isn’t necessarily the absolute end of the road. The judge dismissed some of the claims “with leave to amend,” giving a chance to Sable to rewrite, fix, and resubmit parts of their lawsuit.

“The next step is, do they get another chance,” Rengifo told the News-Press. “And do they get a second bite at the apple?”


Download The California Post App, follow us on social, and subscribe to our newsletters

California Post News: Facebook, Instagram, TikTok, X, YouTube, WhatsApp, LinkedIn
California Post Sports Facebook, Instagram, TikTok, YouTube, X
California Post Opinion
California Post Newsletters: Sign up here!
California Post App: Download here!
Home delivery: Sign up here!
Page Six Hollywood: Sign up here!


Share. Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Telegram WhatsApp Email

Keep Reading

Evergrande founder Hui Ka Yan, once Asia’s richest man, sentenced to life in prison after property giant’s collapse

Evergrande founder Hui Ka Yan, once Asia’s richest man, sentenced to life in prison after property giant’s collapse

Pret a Manger leaves Southern California after promising 40 stores — just one remains open

Pret a Manger leaves Southern California after promising 40 stores — just one remains open

In-N-Out plans new SoCal location with ‘Double-Double’ drive-thru lanes

In-N-Out plans new SoCal location with ‘Double-Double’ drive-thru lanes

Amazon delivery drone drops ‘shocked’ customer’s package directly into swimming pool in viral video

Amazon delivery drone drops ‘shocked’ customer’s package directly into swimming pool in viral video

Elon Musk could spend 0M boosting GOP as Texas’ Ken Paxton battles fundraising gap

Elon Musk could spend $200M boosting GOP as Texas’ Ken Paxton battles fundraising gap

Expert witness used ChatGPT to defend 3M in suit over deadly explosion that killed 3 – charging K for report

Expert witness used ChatGPT to defend 3M in suit over deadly explosion that killed 3 – charging $90K for report

Hugely popular LA nightclub calls it quits after 26 years as fans left heartbroken: ‘I’m SICK’

Hugely popular LA nightclub calls it quits after 26 years as fans left heartbroken: ‘I’m SICK’

Exclusive | Morgan Stanley picks Dallas for expansion outside NYC — stepping up Wall Street exodus following Mamdani election: ‘Wake-up call’

Exclusive | Morgan Stanley picks Dallas for expansion outside NYC — stepping up Wall Street exodus following Mamdani election: ‘Wake-up call’

California AG Bonta asserts Paramount-WBD deal would need ‘robust’ concessions from Ellison

California AG Bonta asserts Paramount-WBD deal would need ‘robust’ concessions from Ellison

Add A Comment
Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

Editors Picks

‘Darth Vader’ mocks Flock cameras at San Diego City Council meeting

‘Darth Vader’ mocks Flock cameras at San Diego City Council meeting

August 21, 2026
Cher’s Son Elijah Blue’s Wife Challenges Singer’s Conservatorship, Asks Court to Put Her In Charge (Exclusive)

Cher’s Son Elijah Blue’s Wife Challenges Singer’s Conservatorship, Asks Court to Put Her In Charge (Exclusive)

August 21, 2026
Michael Kay calls Yankees’ three-run inning an ‘offensive orgy’ in wild call

Michael Kay calls Yankees’ three-run inning an ‘offensive orgy’ in wild call

August 21, 2026
Exclusive | Here’s why MAGA-world wants anyone but rumored frontrunner Scott Jennings as next WH press secretary

Exclusive | Here’s why MAGA-world wants anyone but rumored frontrunner Scott Jennings as next WH press secretary

August 21, 2026

Subscribe to News

Get the latest USA news and updates directly to your inbox.

Latest News
Longest-serving inmate in US history dies at 101 after avoiding execution 8 times

Longest-serving inmate in US history dies at 101 after avoiding execution 8 times

August 21, 2026
Outer Banks’ Caroline Arapoglou Reflects on Final Season’s Surprises, Deaths and Potential Spinoff (Exclusive)

Outer Banks’ Caroline Arapoglou Reflects on Final Season’s Surprises, Deaths and Potential Spinoff (Exclusive)

August 21, 2026
49ers get redemption, answers in preseason win over Chargers

49ers get redemption, answers in preseason win over Chargers

August 21, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest WhatsApp TikTok Instagram
© 2026 USA Times. All Rights Reserved.
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms
  • Advertise
  • Contact

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.