A spokesman for the White House National Security Council suggested Tuesday that national security adviser Mike Waltz has received work-related emails on his personal Gmail account – but has “never” sent classified material over the unsecured platform.
“Let me reiterate, NSA Waltz received emails and calendar invites from legacy contacts on his personal email and cc’d government accounts for anything since January 20th to ensure compliance with records retention,” White House NSC spokesman Brian Hughes told Fox News.
“He has never sent classified material over his personal email account or any unsecured platform,” Hughes added.
The NSC spokesman’s comments were in response to a Washington Post report alleging that Waltz and one of his senior aides have conducted government business over Gmail.
The report, citing documents and interviews with three US officials, claims the Waltz aide engaged in “highly technical conversations with colleagues at other government agencies involving sensitive military positions and powerful weapons systems relating to an ongoing conflict” via a personal Gmail account.
Hughes said the Washington Post “refused to share any part of the document reported,” and therefore couldn’t verify the outlet’s claim.
“Any correspondence containing classified material must only be sent through secure channels and all NSC staff are informed of this,” Hughes added.
“It is also made clear to NSC personnel that any non-government correspondence must be captured and retained for record compliance.”
Waltz purportedly used his personal account on Google’s email platform to receive his schedule and other work documents, according to the outlet.
Last month, Waltz accepted “full responsibility” for accidentally including Atlantic magazine’s editor-in-chief Jeffrey Goldberg in a Signal chat group where discussions about military strikes against the Houthis in Yemen took place.
President Trump has publicly expressed support for Waltz and his team throughout the ordeal, which the national security adviser described as “embarrassing.”
The president, the White House and top administration officials who were in the encrypted chat group maintain that no classified information was discussed in the message chain that inadvertently included the anti-Trump journalist.
Trump, 78, has blamed a “lower-level” Waltz staffer for adding Goldberg to the Signal chat.
Waltz, however, told Fox News’ “Ingraham Angle” host Laura Ingraham that “a staffer wasn’t responsible.”
The White House did not respond to The Post’s request for comment.