The ex-player in Mike Vrabel still comes out from time to time.
The Patriots coach and former linebacker entered a skirmish during Wednesday’s co-practice with the Eagles in Foxborough, Mass., according to reports.
Vrabel attempted to breakup the ruckus after players exchanged punches following a field goal, with Philadelphia defensive lineman Jalen Carter potentially verbally instigating the situation, per Mass Live.
“He still thinks he can get out there and play, and he still wants to,” defensive lineman Milton Williams told the outlet. “All that. He’s still talking noise every day, pushing guys, and, you know, that’s what makes him him. And guys are going to continue to get better with him as our coach.”
This is not the first time the 51-year-old Vrabel has broken up a fight during his short time with New England, who he played for from 2001-08 and won three Super Bowls.
Vrabel bled last year after breaking up a fight during a co-practice with the Commanders in his first training camp with the team, which earned him a rave review from quarterback Drake Maye.
A little more than a week later, Vrabel again entered a fracas but this time he avoided a wound.
Vrabel was listed at 6-foot-4 and 261 pounds during his playing days, and he’s still rather fit now as a coach.
“That’s Vrabel,” Patriots rookie Gabe Jacas told Mass Live. “He’s that type of coach to get in a scrap, and he’s a hands-on coach, so I didn’t expect any less.”
This year’s training camp marks a return to normalcy for Vrabel after a tumultuous offseason plus a stark reminder of the cruel ending to his first season with the team.
Vrabel led the Patriots to the Super Bowl only to be soundly defeated by the Seahawks, and months later his personal life became part of the national storylines.
He and The Athletic reporter Dianna Russini were captured together at an Arizona report in a Page Six exclusively, and more stories came out revealing an alleged affair between the pair.
Vrabel missed Day 3 of the 2026 NFL Draft to attend counseling, and the Patriots have been rather forgiving about the situation.
While Russini resigned from The Athletic, with the New York Times still investigating the situation, Vrabel is gearing up for a Super Bowl rematch to open the season on Sept. 9 in Seattle.
