A woman from Perth, Australia was charged $1,400 by her hotel after her blow dryer set off the fire alarm.
The woman, whom Perth Now gave the pseudonym Kelly, decided to book a room at the Novotel Perth Langley before a Saturday concert, the local outlet reported.
While the concert might have been music to her ears, a lower note was the $1,400 charge (about $940 in the US) she saw on her hotel bill three days later.
She said she called her hotel and they told her she’d been charged a fire department call-out fee. The outlet reported that the Department of Fire and Emergency Services (DFES) fee is $1,337 though, which is $63 less than she was charged.
The charge overdrew Kelly’s account and she called the hotel to get them to reverse the charge, but they initially refused.